Over the course of the month, Team Ambrosia
will be blogging about Earth Day-themed DIY’s, activities and all things environmentally friendly in order to celebrate this special, annual event! Up first, we’re talking how to create your very own, DIY mason jar herb garden!
DIY: Windowsill Mason Jar Herbs
Welcome to my very first gardening experience… EVER!
Yes, I’m giving the whole “green thumb
” thing a go & I couldn’t be more excited about my brand new endeavor… and hopefully yours too!
This will make for the most perfect, family-friendly Earth Day activity! Not to mention, using herbs in meal-prep or cooking makes for a healthier alternative to seasoning your food with tons
Below are the simple, fun and totally adorable steps that I took to make my mason jar herbs!
Here’s What You’ll Need
- Mason Jars
- Herbs (I’m personally a huge fan of thyme) – We carry Urban Harvest Organic Seeds at both locations!
1.Fill the bottom of your mason jars with a layer of stones – I was told that this helps protect the roots & prevents the herbs from absorbing too much water
- Add soil to each of the jars. Fill until about an inch below the rim.
- Add your seeds – be sure to follow the instructions on the back of your seed packages
- Sprinkle a light layer of soil on top of the seeds
- Place on a windowsill so that they’re exposed to the sunlight
- Lightly sprinkle with water & follow maintenance instructions written on the back of your seed packages! It will likely be different for each herb!
- Voila!!!You now have your very own herb garden!
Will you be trying this out on Earth Day?! Let us know in the comments!