When we saw a few of this months’ Featured Products, we immediately knew that we had to do a Halloween related post! Also, to note, we are FULLY aware that it’s technically only the beginning of October, but in our humble opinion you can NEVER be too early when it comes to planning for Halloween! Who else agrees?!
So without further ado, below are three recipes that will absolutely help get you into the spooky spirit of Halloween this month!
Three Healthy Halloween Recipes!
I’ve made it no secret that Halloween is undoubtedly my favourite holiday… hands DOWN! I also realize that it is not “technically” even recognized as a holiday, but in my books, it TOTALLY deserves to be acknowledged as one. It’s just such a fun and whimsical time of the year, and I whole-heartedly believe that it should absolutely be celebrated to its fullest potential!
Now I’m not entirely sure about you, but one of MY favourite things about the Halloween Holiday is the FOOD… I love it when people put a creepy little twist on some of the classic twists, which is exactly
what I have attempted to do here today! Because food should ALWAYS be fun!
But BEFORE we get into the actual recipes themselves, I just wanted to share a couple of fun, Halloween stats with all of you today because they are kind of unbelievable!
3 Halloween Candy Stats that will BLOW your mind!
- Did YOU know that Canadians spent $1 billion on Halloween related items in 2015?!
- Approximately 13.3 million homes participate in the Halloween tradition of handing out candies!
- Canadians spent 397.7 million dollars on Halloween candy alone in 2014
That’s a LOT of candy and a LOT of money wouldn’t ya say?!?! I mean if you’re going to make that kind of investment on Halloween, why not make it a healthy one?! Because all of that money spent above, unfortunately translates into sugar, bad fats and calories… oh my!
So here are three recipes that are a little “less scary” to eat this Halloween!
Bat Popcorn Cakes
Here's what you'll need!
For the “Body”
- SkinnyPop Popcorn Cakes
- Blueberry or black current jam
- ¾ cup raw almonds
- ¾ cup dates
- ½ tsp vega chocolate protein powder
- 2/3 cup toasted shredded coconut
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the “Body”
- Cut the rice cakes into half
- Coat the rice cakes into jam
Put it All Together!
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until a sticky texture
- Roll into balls and refrigerate for 15 minutes
Gummy Bear Mocktails
- Place one “wing” on either side of each energy ball and serve!
- 1 can Soda – Zevia
- ¼ cup of Guava Juice (Frutsa)
- Smart Sweets Gummy Bears
- Ice Tray
Pumpkin Patch Soup
- Freeze the gummy bears into ice cubes the night prior
- Add all ingredients into a pitcher, including ice cubes
- 2 heads of broccoli (chop off florets)
- 1 tsp of Salt
- 3-4 cups of water (depending on how thick you like your soup)
- 1 Scoop of Organika Bone Broth Protein Powder
- Ozery Mini Morning Rounds (flavour of choosing)
- Add water & salt to a pot; bring to a boil
- Add in broccoli florets, cook for about 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, using scissors cut a “stem shape” out of the Ozery Mini Morning rounds
- Add cheese to the Ozery Mini Morning Rounds
- Toast in the oven on low broil for about 5 minutes
- Once the broccoli has cooked, add the water and broccoli to a blender. Also add in the scoop of Organika Bone Broth Protein Powder
- Pulse until you reach desired consistency!
- Season with pepper
- Place the Ozery Morning Round on top of the soup