3 Healthy Twists on Canadian Classics!
Who else is excited for Canada D’eh?! Psssst…. See what we did there?!
What better way to celebrate the big “150” of this great country we all get to call home than by sharing a menu fit for the proudest, country loving, maple syrup guzzling Canucks out there! Except WE’RE going to put a bit of a healthy twist on those tried and true Canadian Classics… because obviously
, we’re a health food store!!!!
Enjoy! And have a Happy Canada Day!
What you NEED to Include on the Canada Day Menu! – Brit, Team Ambrosia
Considering this particular
Canada Day commemorates a bit of a milestone, I wanted to take some of those quintessential Canadian foods that we all love oh so much, but reinvent them by giving them a more modern and healthy
twist! I mean, it is
still summer after all, and I still plan on feeling my best and healthiest while frolicking on the beach!
But does that mean we’re going to sacrifice in the flavour department? No WAY! It IS still our country’s biggest celebration after all – and parties ALWAYS mandate lots of yummy foods and drinks.
So if you DO plan on hosting or attending a good ol’ fashioned Canada Day shindig (which I highly recommend you do – let’s not be a party pooper here!
) – you’re going to want to experiment with some of our healthy Canadian Classics below!
Sweet Potato Poutine
Poutines have almost spawned into their very own food group here in Canada – with new variations on this Canadian Classic popping up almost on the daily! The strangest I’ve seen thus far… lobster!
However, my absolute favourite
twist on this particular delicacy would have to be those recipes that swap out regular potatoes for sweet potatoes! Not only does this offer up a unique flavour profile, but in using sweet potatoes, you’re going to get a much more nutrient rich meal! Sweet potatoes are packed with all kinds of goodness like antioxidants and fibers…. just to name a few!
So THIS is a poutine you can actually eat withOUT feeling all of that guilt!
- Peeled Sweet Potatoes
- Cooked and chopped bacon – Natural or Organic
- Gravy Mix
- Preheat oven to 400
- Cut the peeled sweet potatoes into wedges
- Arrange the potatoes onto a pan and place into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile – follow the instructions on your individual gravy packages! Chop rosemary and add to gravy – stir!
- Remove sweet potato fries from oven, and transfer to a plate – season with sea salt!
- Top with cheese, chopped bacon, and gravy
I’m pretty sure that Caesar’s are the unofficial drink of Canada so of COURSE I had to include this on our Canada Day list! However, we’re making this one both plantbased AND sans alcohol!
we’re ditching the clam juice and going strictly tomato on this one – it’s going to be a bit closer to a Bloody Mary – but I promise it’s still very much going to taste like our favourite Canadian Classic!
- 4 cups (32 oz) tomato juice
- 1 tbsp Life Source Organic Mustard - Dijon (on SALE right now!!)
- 1-1.5 tbsp The Wizards Vegan Worchester Sauce
- Hot sauce – to taste – I’m not really a spicy person so I actually skip this step altogether!
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3/4 tsp celery seed
- Sprinkle of Herbamare or kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To garnish: celery salt, lime, celery stalks, ice
- Mix all ingredients into a pitcher
- Garnish with celery, lime and ice
I mean HELLO! You cannot possibly
get more Canadian than a donut hole! Not to mention – these would make for a great dessert at any
Canada Day party because they do not require any plates or utensils! No mess, no fuss – but ALL of the deliciousness!
HOWEVER, The donut holes we’ve all grown to know and love are regrettably filled with sugars, carbs and a whole lot of empty calories! Aka they’re essentially void of any nutrients whatsoever! Luckily for YOU, we have not ONE – but TWO healthy donut hole alternatives for all of you today! Each donut hole recipe below are packed with healthy proteins and nutrients that will not only keep you energized, but will (arguably more importantly
😝 ) help keep your sweet tooth at bay!!
Carrot Cake Protein Bites
Peanut Maca Energy Balls
What are you serving up this Canada Day?!